Re: memberOf attribute: part of LDAP v3 standard ?

Right.
You could add objectClass groupOfNames (defined in core.schema) to your
inetOrgPerson definition to pick up the "member" attribute:
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixaccount
objectClass: shadowaccount
objectClass: groupOfNames
uid: reitsma
cn: Charlie Reitsma
givenName: Charlie
sn: Reitsma
mail: reitsmac@airius.com
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 10
homeDirectory: /export/home/reitsma
loginShell: /bin/tcsh
member: cn=sysadmin,ou=groups,dc=airius,dc=com
member: cn=staff,ou=groups,dc=airius,dc=com

It's up to you to keep it in sync with any groups defined in
ou=groups,dc=airius,dc=com if that is needed.  If you want to list the groups
an individual is a member of without populating a member attribute then there
is an algorithm published in the appendix of "Draft Best Practices for
Directory Groups" found at http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/groups/