change a schema.

Hi All,

First of all i'm new to openldap and schema's.
My problem is the following:

I have a schema up and running and now i want to change it.
( It is NOT my schema i got it from someone and now it's updated.
Some values where left out in the new schema. )
All with saving my allready collected data.

Questions:
Can i change this on a running database?
(Guess not because slapd.conf needs to be changed as well for changing the
schema files.)
Can i change it when slapd is down?
Is there any way/method/tools to modify this?
( save the current data... load the new schema and only import the still
existing values or convert them to another place? )

Anybody has a good link to a guide how to create your own schema's?

Thanks.
Regards,

Alex