hmasoud@arabia.com writes:

Hi all...

my setup is

Redhat Linux 7.2
openldap-2.0.11-13
openldap-clients-2.0.11-13
openldap-servers-2.0.11-13
gdbm-1.8.0-10

I am a beginner in ldap and OpenLdap, I followed the OpenLDAP 2.0 Administrator's Guide and when I reached the quick start guide I managed
to use ldapsearch, but I failed to use ldapadd, although I followed strictly
what is written in the quick-start guide.

I found out that removing comments from the configuration file solves this
problem. My first question is why comments are problematic in this case?

This sounds very odd; can you give an example of what comments
caused what error?

I then tried to use migration tools. I used migrate_all_online.sh script,
it worked fine till it reached /etc/protocols and when it tries to add an
entry for the protocol tp++ it terminates with the following message:

adding new entry "cn=tp++,ou=Protocols,dc=testyard"
ldap_add: Invalid DN syntax
additional info: invalid DN

second question: what is the problem? is it the (++) at the end of cn?

Definitely; plusses in DNs must be escaped. Try

dn: cn=tp\+\+,ou=Protocols,dc=testyard

(and see rfc2256 and the internet draft on DN and ldapbis).

Pierangelo.

Dr. Pierangelo Masarati | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Dip. Ing. Aerospaziale | fax: +39 02 2399 8334
Politecnico di Milano | mailto:pierangelo.masarati@polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati