problems adding

Hi,
I'm having problems using ldapadd in adding this DER file to the ldap directory.
I've also made sure to kill and restart slapd after changing the schema file.

I tried using both binary and octet syntax for the attribute, but both give me this error:
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type
additional info: root cert: attribute type undefined

Can anyone help me out with what I may be doing wrong?
Do I need to encode the DER file using base 64 or is there an error in the way I pointed to the file?

here's my ldif file:

dn: cn=jennifer,dc=karthika,dc=com
objectclass: person
objectclass: rootcert
cn: jennifer
sn: jones
rootcert: file:///home/project/rsaX509.der

Here is the schema file read into slapd.conf

attributetype ( 4.3.3.1.2 NAME 'rootkey'
   DESC 'root key'
   SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.40 )

objectclass ( 4.3.2.1.2 NAME 'rootcert'
   DESC 'root certificate'