OpenLDAP, SASL and PHP

I have an OS XS 10.1.3 box that has been running PHP 4.1.2 and OpenLDAP 2.0.23 without any problems. I can bind to the LDAP database from PHP and everyone is happy.

I wanted to build a new box with Cyrus-IMAP, Cyrus-SASL and OpenLDAP, moving my mail and authentication to it and leave the first box to just Apache and PHP. The second box appears to work fine.

I can do non-authorized reads from box A (php/apache) to box B (LDAP/SASL) without a problem.

Where I'm having problems is binding from my PHP/Apache box to the new OpenLDAP box authenticating with the rootdn password (so that I can modify or add). With identical schema and data, I get errors trying to bind to the SASL/LDAP box from my PHP/Apache box that I don't get trying to bind to the local LDAP database. I can authenticate locally on the SASL/LDAP box using the LDAP tools (ldapadd, ldapmodify etc) with a password against the LDAP database pulling the password from the SASL system, so I know that the password is correct.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the following are true:

1) Do I have to re-build my PHP (previously built linked to my first LDAP) against the new LDAP database with SASL to enable my PHP to bind to my Cyrus/SASL/LDAP box?
2) Is there something special or a different syntax one has to do to bind to a OpenLDAP/SASL rather than just OpenLDAP with PHP?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Quinn