Re: A Few Questions

> I think you need to look for some load-balanceing or clustering solution
> (Turbo Linux?) to do this.  slapd as far as I know does not have a "fail
> over" method,  which is what it sound like you are actually looking for.

Wow, I'm surprised there isn't the ability to do this.  So slaves are only
really good for load balancing, not really redundancy (except manual
failover).

Hmmm.  I wonder if libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, etc contain (or could
contain) code to fail over to a backup if the master is down.  Not quite
as efficient, since the list of backups would have to be given to every
application, but would still provide for some redundancy.

Has anyone considered adding this sort of functionality (is it even in the
protocol specs?)  Since the master knows what slaves exist, it would seem
to make sense that a client could cache a list of slaves from the master.
This sort of redundancy would seem to be a killer in a large scale
corporate environment.  Just a thought.

> No such document exists, AFAIK.  Sad.  I cover some of this in my LDAP
> presentation, and I hope to add more,  but it is FAR from exhaustive.
> ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

Cool.  Thanks!

--
Geoff Silver					<geoff at uslinux dot net>
"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed...