Re: "Replacing" an attribute's value with "nothing"

Mudry, Robert (N-aerotek) wrote:
Is there a way I can set an attribute in my schema to allow me to "replace"
its value with ""? (That's nothing) Most of our code was designed for the
Netscape Directory Server, which allows replace operations of "". But
OpenLDAP has been complaining:

Return code: 21 Message: LDAP_INVALID_SYNTAX

Which is exactly the right response code since your attempt to add an empty attribute value violates the X.500 data model.

To all the folks implementing workarounds or complaining about OpenLDAP doing something wrong because it works on Netscape DS:

I'd suggest you read and understand the LDAP standard and implement compliant LDAP applications. This means applications have to deal with non-existent attributes as being non-existent. Otherwise your sick applications will not be vendor-independent.

Ciao, Michael.