Re: Yet Another Beginner Question

Thanks for the synchronization help... once I get this schema stuff
figured out, I'll be looking at that.

   As to your earlier questions, may I suggest reading the LDAPman Articles on
   http://www.ldapman.org/articles/index.html which I consider excellent.

OK, I am making a bit of progress.  One web page I found suggested
exporting Netscape's address book (which exported a file and then
caused a bus error...).

Anyway, I am trying to import this entry but my organizational unit of
"employees" doesn't exist.  How do you create a new OU?  I spent the
past couple of hours searching but this apparently isn't a problem for
anyone else.  Here's what I've tried most recently:

root@ns:/etc/openldap/schema>cat /tmp/ou.ldif
dn: ou=employees,dc=censoft,dc=com
objectclass: ou
o: Century Software
dc: censoft

And then:

root@ns:/etc/openldap/schema>ldapadd -x -D "ou=employees,dc=censoft,dc=com" -W -f /tmp/ou.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "ou=employees,dc=censoft,dc=com"
ldap_add: Object class violation
        additional info: unrecognized objectClass 'ou'

ldif_record() = 65

And another question, why do the ldapadd examples specify -D when the
first line in the LDIF file is a dn?  Seems redundant...

Thanks,
Mark