completely removing directory so i can start over

Hi all,
	This is partially a debian question.  I have built openldap using
'apt-get source openldap2' and then dpkg-buildpackage
after configuring debian/rules.  Several machines have been successfully
set up using this method.  On several other machines though
the directory has gotten corrupted (by my bumbling --
removing/overwriting cn=admin and such) but i can't seem to get rid of
it, even
when i completely reinstall.

	Below is a log of how i tried to fix the problem (which didn't
obviously work).  Executing slapcat shows the 10 or so entries
I put in 5 installs ago (and haven't been able to get rid of).  There is
no cn=admin entry, all of the entries except the following
one are people entries.

dn: cn=Manager, dc=simons-rock,dc=edu
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager
creatorsName: cn=Manager,dc=simons-rock,dc=edu
createTimestamp: 20020205005234Z
modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=simons-rock,dc=edu
modifyTimestamp: 20020205005234Z

Another machine exhibits exactly the same error (though my exact method
of corruption might have been subtly
different).  I have attempted to remove everything in the /var/lib/ldap
directory (the place where slapd.conf says ldbm lives), but
that didn't work.   If anyone can please tell me how i "zero" the
directory with this setup so that i can reload my data
correctly, I would greatly appreciate it.

i'm running woody

	thanx much in advance,
		~c

cderr:/usr/src# dpkg --purge slapd ldap-utils ldap-gateways
(Reading database ... 101593 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing slapd ...
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd.
dpkg - warning: while removing slapd, directory `/etc/ldap/schema' not
empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing slapd, directory `/etc/ldap' not empty so
not removed.
Purging configuration files for slapd ...
Removing ldap-utils ...
Removing ldap-gateways ...
cderr:/usr/src# dpkg -i ldap-utils_2.0.23-3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package ldap-utils.
(Reading database ... 101541 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ldap-utils (from ldap-utils_2.0.23-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up ldap-utils (2.0.23-3) ...

cderr:/usr/src# dpkg -i ldap-gateways_2.0.23-3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 101561 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ldap-gateways 2.0.23-3 (using
ldap-gateways_2.0.23-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ldap-gateways ...
Setting up ldap-gateways (2.0.23-3) ...

cderr:/usr/src# dpkg -i slapd_2.0.23-3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package slapd.
(Reading database ... 101561 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking slapd (from slapd_2.0.23-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up slapd (2.0.23-3) ...

ncurses setup asks a few questions -- my answers below
--
auto
domain or host

slapadd: could not add entry dn="dc=simons-rock,dc=edu" (line=4)
dpkg: error processing slapd (--install):
 slapd
cderr:/usr/src#