RE: Yet Another Beginner Question

The best thing to do is to avoid the synchronization step in the first
place.
PAM/NSS solutions have already been discussed in someone else's reply. To
keep your existing standard adduser tools working, I suggest using an LDAP
backend that parses /etc/passwd et. al directly. Symas Corp. has a UnixAuth
agent that does exactly this, presenting an LDAP read/write interface to
the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group files. Ours is fairly
efficient,
written in C, but you could achieve most of the functionality using
back-shell or back-perl and some parsing scripts. We also handle
/etc/aliases and several
other sendmail config files directly. PAM has got a lot of momentum behind
it, but we believe there's value and security in non-invasive solutions that
keep your existing infrastructure intact, while still making it more
manageable.
Reliability is a big reason to take our approach; you'll always be able to
login even if your LDAP service or network connection dies. Compatibility
and performance are two more reasons; NSS searches thru LDAP can be slow and
the NS Cache Daemon is not known for its reliability, and there are still
programs out there that like to use fgetXXent() to walk thru the tables.

Note that rolling your own solution here probably isn't something you should
do as an LDAP beginner, unless you're already proficient with shell or perl
programming, and you're comfortable setting up slapd ACLs to protect the
information you're exposing. Making a mistake on the ACLs could be
disastrous.

  -- Howard Chu