userPassword attribute for users.

Hi,

I am trying to configure openldap such that users can access
the database with their dn and passwd. I am doing this on a
RH7.2 box. I am also using gq for administration.

I noticed that for the system passwds from /etc/shadow,
the userPassword attribute works when {crypt} is prepended.
But I know that the passwds are MD5 hashes. When I configure
the userPassword with {MD5} prepended, the user cannot
connect. (This is only with ldapsearch.)

Also if I use the password changing option from gq, plain text
and crypt works but its MD5 and SHA options do not work.

I would like the userPassword field to work with {MD5} and {SHA}.
With gq if possible.

Also, what would happen if 1 entry gets multiple userPassword
attributes? (It might happen by mistake).

Any ideas / pointers...

Jatin