Re: OID! what for?

>do i have to register an OID?

Yes.

>or is it automatic, somehow?

You can do it, for free, on the IANA site.

>or only if i plan on sharing my directory with someone else?

WHat you don't intend to do today you'll have to do tomorrow.

>what's the drawbacks of NOT registering OIDs?

You DSA becomes non-interoperable with any other DSA.  Why bother when an
OID is free.

And assuming standard don't apply to them is something a certain software
company does,  and I haven't heard anyone express ecstatic love for them
recently.

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS