Re: OID! what for?

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 03:37, you wrote:
> do i have to register an OID?
> or is it automatic, somehow?
> or only if i plan on sharing my directory with someone else?
> what's the drawbacks of NOT registering OIDs?

You do not have to register an OID if you do not want to define
private attributes or objectclasses.
Also, if you use private attribute and objectclasses you do
not need to register an OID, if you never want to share this
private schema and the directory based on that schema
with others.

It is similar to DNS. In private, you can use any names you want
But if you want to to out into the public, there is a need to
uniquely identify namespaces. This is what DNS names and
OIDs do.

Yours
Peter
--