how to generate passwords?

I’ve set up OpenLDAP to do user authentication for a server and now I’m trying to make a script so user could change their password from the web in PHP but I can generate the password using the crypt function in PHP and putting {crypt}whateverpassword  in the userPassword attribute and I can log in using SSH but I can’t bind using the script I made anymore… Anybody could help me with a way to generate passwords in PHP? And also how do you generate password for the lmPassword and ntPassword? Thanks

Jean-Rene Cormier