Re: Using OpenLdap as a global directory server for both win and unix

>Has the development of openldap reached that point that i could be used
>as a global directory  server for both unix and windows?

Absolutely.

>is there any good guides on how to set this up,

The FAQ-O-Matic on the OpenLDAP site.
My LDAP presentation at ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf
as well as
http://www.direct-to-linux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-BindPW.html
http://www.direct-to-linux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/ref-guide/ch-ldap.html
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO.html
http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html

One *REALLY* needs to understand it as well as set-it-up, at least to
some modest degree.

>and is it possible  to use openldap as win2k "password server", and use
>the same openldap server for the unix enviroment, or even

Yes, with the addition of the Samba 2.2.3a package.

>making nis maps out of ldap entries?

Yes, there are several tools to do this.  I wrote ldap2nis to do this,
there are other maybe better tools to do this.  Some free some
commercial.

>And is there possible to use ldap as a TOTAL replacement of existing nis
>servers for the different unix platforms (solaris, sgi , hpux, linux,
>all with multple versions)?

Yes, NIS stinks, replacing its functionality isn't hard.

>I know my may be a little dumb, but if openldap could be the bridge
>between the two worlds, then this would be really neat.

It works for us, POSIX/Unix/Linux logons, Win9x logons, WinY2K logons,
mail routing, internet access control, intranet access control, user
preferences, mail aliases and lists, contact information, etc...
Fourteen sites in two states, works great.

An under payed hourly person with minimal training and a web browser can
field user calls and do most of the "administration",  which certainly
beats a trained IT guy running around dorking with user accounts on
three platforms.