RE: getting very frustrated with lack of success

Hi, just a little advice:
If you're using RH7.2, it does come bundled with OpenLDAP 2.011.  You can
download the 2.0.23 version from the RH website.
The problem you may be experiencing is that you may already have the
OpenLDAP packages installed, the rpm version from RH. RH does not generally
install in the same directory as opensource tars do. However, I have managed
to get a nice install running on RH72, with OpenLDAP 2.0.11 authenticating
to a Kerberos server via Cyrus-SASL-1.5.24-23, complete with an LDAP enabled
qmail server w/ Courier IMAP that manages shared folders for Outlook. I'd
recommend trying it directly from the rpm if you're new at LDAP, and need a
simple test run.
Check for these directories:
/var/lib/ldap: where RH stores the database
/etc/openldap: where RH stores slapd.conf and others.
Or try checking for the rpm:
rpm -q openldap-2.0.11
Hope this helps  --  John