logging into slave ldap server

I would expect I should be able to login to the slave
LDAP servers in the same way I login to the master
right?

I have been trying to login to one of my slave LDAP
servers and everytime I try i always get "invalid credentials".
Replication seems to be working as I can see the new
samba stuff I added to the master on friday(or was it thursday),
And i can browse the tree, I just cannot authenticate as
the admin user. which is the same as on the master ldap
server.

infact i loaded up ldapexplorer on both hosts, and on
the master i changed The description field and loaded
the record on the slave a second later and the change
was there. so replication is working. The ACLs are the
same(with the exception of the replication acls), the admin
account has full write access(though I don't need write access
I'm just trying to authenticate with it).

There doesn't seem to be much in the logs, even at debug
level 65535. it's hard to determine which log entries are
trigered by the replication and which is by me. I put
the log excerpt (debug 65535) here:

http://saratoga.linuxpowered.net/slapd/debug (102kB)

I get the same error using both samba+ldap and ldapexplorer.

the log is what was captured by syslog, I am load slapd
via:
su slapd -c "/usr/sbin/slapd -h 'ldap://192.168.50.119:3890/
ldaps://192.168.50.119:6360/' -s DEBUG"

I am using transparent proxy redirection to use the
normal 636/389 ports, as well, but when I manage the directory
i go to the normal ports 3890 & 6360

if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it, thanks!

nate