Re: parent does not exist

Leila,

In  your LDIF file I do not see where you're defining your organization,
and "organizationalUnit"s!!!
I'm also new to LDAP, but I believe that you will need to first define your
tree structure before loading the ldif file that you show in your email.
Something like the following first needs to be done:

dn: o=University of Michigan, c=US
o:  University of Michigan
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization

dn: ou=Groups,o=University of Michigan,c=US
ou:  Groups
objectclass: organizationalUnit

dn: ou=People,o=University of Michigan,c=US
ou:  People
objectclass: organizationalUnit

dn: ou=Alumni Association,ou=People,o=University of Michigan,c=US
ou:  Alumni Association
objectclass: organizationalUnit

Once you load the above ldif, your tree hierarchy is defined and you'll be
able to load the ldif file you mention in your email.

Regards

Raed Nashef
Consultant Analyst
Network Planning Group
BAX Global, Inc.
Tel:  949.752.1212  x.2672
Email: rnashef@baxglobal.com
http://www.baxglobal.com

                       Leila Lappin
                       <galaxylappin@comcast.n        To:   "oberwetter, josh" <joberwetter@grownetwork.com>
                       et>                            cc:   OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
                                                      Subject:   Re: parent does not exist
                       Sent by:
                       owner-openldap-software
                       @OpenLDAP.org

                       03/05/2002 10:05 PM

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your answers.  I didn't see a 'Michigan list',  under the
mailing list  section.  There's a 'general'  list but it seems to be
closed.

In regard to my question as you suggested I'm sending the slapd.conf  and a
part of the  ldif file because it's very long.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<  slapd.conf >>>>>>>>>>

# $OpenLDAP$
#
# stand-alone slapd config --  for testing
# with indexing
#
include  d:/openLDAP/schema/core.schema
include  d:/openLDAP/schema/cosine.schema
include  d:/openLDAP/schema/inetorgperson.schema
schemacheck on
pidfile      d:/openLDAP/test-db/slapd.pid
argsfile     d:/openLDAP/test-db/slapd.args

#  ldbm database  definitions

database ldbm
suffix  "o=University of Michigan,  c=US"
directory d:/openLDAP/test-db
rootdn  "cn=Manager,  o=University of Michigan,  c=US"
rootpw  secret
index  objectclass eq
index  uid pres,eq,sub
index  cn,sn pres,eq,sub,subany
dbnosync
dbnolocking

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ldif  file   (partial) >>>>>>

dn: cn=All Staff,ou=Groups,o=University of  Michigan,c=US
member: cn=Manager, o=University of Michigan, c=US
member:  cn=Barbara Jensen, ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People,
o=Un
 iversity of Michigan, c=US
member: cn=Jane Doe, ou=Alumni  Association, ou=People, o=University of
Michiga
 n, c=US
member:  cn=John Doe, ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People,
o=Universi
 ty of Michigan, c=US
member: cn=Mark Elliot, ou=Alumni  Association, ou=People, o=University of
Mich
 igan, c=US
member:  cn=James A Jones 1, ou=Alumni Association, ou=People, o=University
of
 Michigan, c=US
member: cn=James A Jones 2, ou=Information  Technology Division, ou=People,
o=U
 niversity of Michigan,  c=US
member: cn=Jennifer Smith, ou=Alumni Association, ou=People,  o=University
of M
 ichigan, c=US
member: cn=Dorothy Stevens,  ou=Alumni Association, ou=People, o=University
of
 Michigan,  c=US
member: cn=Ursula Hampster, ou=Alumni Association, ou=People,  o=University
of
 Michigan, c=US
member: cn=Bjorn Jensen,  ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People,
o=Univ
 ersity of  Michigan, c=US
owner: cn=Manager, o=University of Michigan, c=US
cn: All  Staff
objectclass:  groupofnames