Re: Synchronizing with Lotus Notes R5

JP,

Thanks for your script and helpful comments and suggestions.
What you're suggesting  is a good start for me to synchronize Lotus notes
with LDAP.  I was  hoping to find a  way to only synchronize modified
entries after the initial LDIF setup.  Meaning,   to only produce an LDIF
file initially, load it up into OpenLDAP, but then only synchronize or
update records or entries that have changed or have been modified on the
Lotus Notes server.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
-Raed.

                       Jan-Piet Mens
                       <jpm@Retail-SC.co        To:   Raed Nashef <rnashef@baxglobal.com>
                       m>                       cc:
                                                Subject:   Re: Synchronizing with Lotus Notes R5

                       02/20/2002 02:42
                       AM

Hello Raed,

Don't worry about the 7000 users. I've timed it for you against my Domino
5.0.8
server: in 30 seconds I got results for 6500 users!

The following Perl script should be a base for you to start with. It does
more-
or less what you want. You'd have to alter the output phase, perhaps to
produce
LDIF with which you can feed your OpenLDAP server.

Did I unserstand correctly, that you want the person's name ? By that I
suppose
you mean the CN [common name] attribute.

Best regards,
 -JP

#!/usr/bin/perl -wT

use strict;
use Net::LDAP;

my $dominoserver = 'your.hostname.com';
my $bindDN       = 'cn=raed nashef, o=someplace';  # Must be an admin
my $bindPW      = 'secret';

my $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($dominoserver, port => 389);

my ($msg, @entries, $e);
my ($cn, $location);

$ldap->bind("$bindDN", password => "$bindPW");

$msg = $ldap->search(
  base     => '',
  scope    => 'sub',
  filter   => "(objectclass=dominoperson)",
  attrs    => [ 'location', 'cn' ],
 );
die ("search failed with ",$msg->code(),"\n") if $msg->code();

@entries = $msg->entries;

foreach $e (@entries) {
 $cn = $e->get_value('cn');
 $location = $e->get_value('location') || '-';

 printf "%-20s %s\n", $cn, $location;
}

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Raed Nashef wrote:

> This is exactly what I'm trying to do !!!     I have finished doing a
pilot
> project for Distributed Sendmail architecture, and I've setup sendmail to
> query the Lotus Notes LDAP server for the person name, and the location
> attribute. Based on the location attribute, sendmail then routes the
> message.  During the pilot project Lotus Notes proved to be a very slow
> LDAP server !!!   This is when I started thinking of implementing an
> OpenLDAP solution on the Sendmail/Linux  servers that replicate with
Lotus
> Notes.
>
> As you've mentioned below, all I need is the name attribute and the
> location.  The location is the only piece that sendmail need to route the
> messages. I'm definitely not interested in getting the whole DIT.
>
> I still did not even start to learn OpenLDAP, so I'm still very new to
this
> subject. Is it possible you email me an example of the script you're
using
> ?
>
> Also, our Lotus Notes  server has about 7000  users/email addresses.
This

OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
>                                                 Subject:   Re:
Synchronizing with Lotus Notes R5

>                        02/18/2002 11:28
>                        PM
>

> What you could of course do, is to have Sendmail query the Domino LDAP
task
> directly. I didn't go that way though, because when I started off w/
Notes
> 5.0.1
> the LDAP task was so slow, that we couldn't work with it. BTW, 5.0.9a
isn't
> much faster, IMO.
>
> I have never found a method of replicating the whole DIT from Domino to
> OpenLDAP,
> but I wouldn't want that anyway,because although we have a similar setup
as
> you (all internal mail servers are Domino), our main directory is
OpenLDAP.

> What I do is use a Perl script to pull (as as manager) all relevant bits
> and
> pieces from the Domino LDAP task periodically. It works well, as long as
> the
> LDAP task works... You'd need to custom make the program, but it isn't
> hard.
>
> BTW, you may not even be interested in the whole DIT, because for
example,
> you'd
> not be able to use the userPassword attibute: Lotus has an unpublished
> encryption
> algorithm, so you couldn't use that in OpenLDAP.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
>  -JP
>

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Raed Nashef wrote:
>
> > We currently have Lotus Notes R5 servers that are handling all of our
> > internal mail. Some of these servers are setup as  LDAP servers.  We
have
> > need to replicate the Lotus Notes LDAP database to an OpenLDAP server
> > running RedHat 7.0. We will be setting up Sendmail to query the
OpenLDAP