hosts.deny is preventing access to LDAP

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve

Whenever I enable hosts.deny with ALL: ALL I can't connect to the linux box
from a remote box

I have ALL: 192.168.0. in my hosts.allow which should allow my LAN machines
to connect but they can't.  By looking at the logs, the password can't be
verified in LDAP while hosts.deny is enabled

If I add ALL:ALL in hosts.allow it starts to work

I'm posting it on this list since it seems to be a LDAP issue, I can do
other things to the LDAP box as long as I don't require LDAP authentication

Any ideas what this might be and how I could solve it?

I checked the web but couldn't wade through all the references to
hosts.allow and ldap