attribute pointers

Hello all.  I'm trying to find out if it is possible to use an attribute as
a link to another attribute in the same object class, similar to symlinks on
Unix filesystems.  For example, if I have an attribute named 'sex' and I
would like to create another attribute named 'gender' that points to 'sex',
is there a way to do this in OpenLDAP?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to force some applications that use LDAP
to use a global directory namespace.  The reason I can't do that now is
because the applications use different names to represent the same things.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.  Thanx.

Dane Foster
http://www.equitytg.com
954.360.9800