Re: One server and many DN's

>>>First of all, I'm a newbie in LDAP world so I will ask
>>>some questions that may be foolish. Please forgive me :-)
>>>I've managed to successfully install openldap-2.0.23
>>>and created a DN as following:
>>><quote sladp.conf>
>>>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
>>>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
>>>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
>>></quote>
>>><quote sladp.conf>
>>>database        ldbm
>>>suffix          "ou=dte,o=emprel"
>>What naming standard is this?  Most base/roots are "ou=,o=,c="  or
>>"ou=,dc=,dc="
>>"ou=,dc=,dc=" seems to be the currently recommended method.
>Ok :) I will create it again as  ou=dte,dc=emprel,dc=recife.
>Another fool question: Does each LDAP level must have a equal DNS level?
>I mean using ou=dte,dc=emprel,dc=recife Do I must have a
>dte.emprel.recife DNS domain ??

No, I don't think any "musts" are involved.  dc means domain component,
and makes mapping to things like DNS SRV records make more sense.  Once
you stop using dc elements (you use ou for example) the presummed
correspondence to DNS ends.

>>>So, I've created ou=dte,o=emprel DN. I'd like to know if I can have many
>>>DN's served by the same slapd daemon or by the same machine.
>>>I am basing my question in named behavior, so I can configure it to
>>>serve many DNS domains (zones).
>>You can serve n number of DITs from one slapd.  The maximum is
>>determined solely by load and the robustness of your host.
>>All those would be part of the same DIT.  I'd suggest looking up
>>"superior information", "subordinate information", and "partitioning".
>>I cover these topics in my LDAP presentation (as one possible source).
>>ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf
>I read part of this presentation now. Congratulations! But I just found
>subordinate information"....
>Thanks a lot for the help.
>Well.... let's back to work...

Have fun.

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS