Re: One server and many DN's

>First of all, I'm a newbie in LDAP world so I will ask
>some questions that may be foolish. Please forgive me :-)
>I've managed to successfully install openldap-2.0.23
>and created a DN as following:
><quote sladp.conf>
>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
>include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
></quote>
><quote sladp.conf>
>database        ldbm
>suffix          "ou=dte,o=emprel"

What naming standard is this?  Most base/roots are "ou=,o=,c="  or
"ou=,dc=,dc="

"ou=,dc=,dc=" seems to be the currently recommended method.

>rootdn          "cn=Manager,ou=dte,o=emprel"
>rootpw          boguspwd
>directory       /usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-ldbm
>index   objectClass     eq
></quote>

>So, I've created ou=dte,o=emprel DN. I'd like to know if I can have many
>DN's served by the same slapd daemon or by the same machine.
>I am basing my question in named behavior, so I can configure it to
>serve many DNS domains (zones).

You can serve n number of DITs from one slapd.  The maximum is
determined solely by load and the robustness of your host.

>In fact I'd like to create a o=emprel DN and many sub-DN's (does it
>exists :-) ) like ou=dte,o=emprel  and ou=df,o=emprel and
>ou=drh,o=emprel , but they all served by the same box.
>I don't know if I was clear....

All those would be part of the same DIT.  I'd suggest looking up
"superior information", "subordinate information", and "partitioning".

I cover these topics in my LDAP presentation (as one possible source).
ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf