Re: Synchronizing with Lotus Notes R5

This is exactly what I'm trying to do !!!     I have finished doing a pilot
project for Distributed Sendmail architecture, and I've setup sendmail to
query the Lotus Notes LDAP server for the person name, and the location
attribute. Based on the location attribute, sendmail then routes the
message.  During the pilot project Lotus Notes proved to be a very slow
LDAP server !!!   This is when I started thinking of implementing an
OpenLDAP solution on the Sendmail/Linux  servers that replicate with Lotus
Notes.

As you've mentioned below, all I need is the name attribute and the
location.  The location is the only piece that sendmail need to route the
messages. I'm definitely not interested in getting the whole DIT.

I still did not even start to learn OpenLDAP, so I'm still very new to this
subject. Is it possible you email me an example of the script you're using
?

Also, our Lotus Notes  server has about 7000  users/email addresses.  This
causes a concern for me!!!  pulling name and location attributes for 7000
users might cause some performance issues on the OpenLDAP server, is this
correct ?

Thanks,
-Raed

                       Jan-Piet Mens
                       <jpm@Retail-SC.co        To:   Raed Nashef <rnashef@baxglobal.com>
                       m>                       cc:   OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
                                                Subject:   Re: Synchronizing with Lotus Notes R5

                       02/18/2002 11:28
                       PM

What you could of course do, is to have Sendmail query the Domino LDAP task
directly. I didn't go that way though, because when I started off w/ Notes
5.0.1
the LDAP task was so slow, that we couldn't work with it. BTW, 5.0.9a isn't
much faster, IMO.

I have never found a method of replicating the whole DIT from Domino to
OpenLDAP,
but I wouldn't want that anyway,because although we have a similar setup as
you (all internal mail servers are Domino), our main directory is OpenLDAP.

What I do is use a Perl script to pull (as as manager) all relevant bits
and
pieces from the Domino LDAP task periodically. It works well, as long as
the
LDAP task works... You'd need to custom make the program, but it isn't
hard.

BTW, you may not even be interested in the whole DIT, because for example,
you'd
not be able to use the userPassword attibute: Lotus has an unpublished
encryption
algorithm, so you couldn't use that in OpenLDAP.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
 -JP