Thread-safe using auth_ldap with OpenLDAP SDK

Greetings,

I am using auth_ldap 1.5.4 with OpenLDAP SDK 2.0.7 and
need to know if it is thread-safe.  I am building
with these libraries,

lber
ldap
ldap_r

I read Kurt Zeilenga's message (4/13/01) about ldap_r being "sort of"
reentrant but that the LDAP app's C code must be written with
special care.  Is it thread-safe if I am using the SDK for authentication
through auth_ldap only?  This must work for both OpenLDAP directory
server and iPlanet directory server authentication.

Thanks very much!

-- Barbara