RE: Newbie OpenLDAP-SASL question

The reason "saslregexp" is only in the draft developer's admin guide is
because it only exists in the development code at the moment; it has never
been in any released versions. I think the upcoming 2.1alpha will be the
first actual release of this feature.

Given that the current public release is 2.0.22 I find it difficult to
understand why anyone would begin a project today by compiling version
2.0.9. It is in everyone's best interest to check for the latest versions of
all software before beginning to work with any of it. Sure they may be new,
as-yet-undiscovered bugs in the newest code, but in general more bugs are
fixed than introduced.

As for mapping SASL IDs to LDAP DNs, this has been covered repeatedly in the
past couple weeks on this mailing list. The short answer in this case is
that slapd always constructs a DN using "uid=<sasl-name>+realm=<sasl-realm>"
in the released code, and always expects you to specify the name as
"u:<sasl-name>" on the command line.

As mentioned before, the new code has the "saslregexp" config directive for
mapping SASL names to DN format, plus other related features to make SASL a
lot better integrated. Check through the archives of this mailing list for
more details.

  -- Howard Chu