Can't add one entry, but I can't find/delete it either

I'm trying to add an entry to my directory using a standard user
addition script I wrote. It says that the action cannot be completed
because the user exists. I double check with an ldapsearch and do not
see this user. Trying to add again, same error. I try to do
an ldapdelete on the user, no good. ldapdelete reports that the user
does not exist. For S&G I grep for the user's name in /var/lib/ldap
and find out that "Binary file dn2id.gdbm matches". So ldapadd is correct,
it's in there somewhere. But now I can't delete it. Anyone know how I can
go about fixing this?

--
Joshua Warchol
UNIX Systems Administrator