RE: Encrypting attributes of my choice

That is a completely different question, and the answer is yes, OpenLDAP
does have support for special treatment of the userPassword attribute.
Technically speaking, this is not encryption, this is hashing. To use this
feature your client must use an LDAPv3 Extended Operation, the Modify-Passwd
operation. This operation accepts a cleartext password as input and stores
a hash of the cleartext in the userPassword attribute of an entry.

The difference between "encryption" and "hashing" is significant - in the
latter case, there is no expectation of reversability, and there are no keys
to manage. As such, it is trivial to implement hashing securely with minimal
administration overhead.

The problem with supporting reversible encryption inside the directory
itself
is that you then must manage the encryption keys, and they need to be both
securely protected and yet easily accessible to the server if they're going
to be used automatically. Once you do that, it's only one step removed from
no encryption at all. Think clearly about this, what are you trying to
defend
against by encrypting your directory data? If you're concerned that someone
can hack into your system and steal records out of your database files, then
automated encryption in the directory is still no defense. Any key that is
easily accessible to slapd will also be easily accessible to anyone with
direct
access to your database files. If you are using a product that supports
simple,
automatic data encryption for LDAP database entries, you have bought into
marketing hype, not real security.

The only way to store securely encrypted data in *any* data store is to do
so
in such a way that the means of encrypting/decrypting the data are kept
separate (far away!) from the data store. The burden of responsibility for
maintaining data security rests squarely with the generator and consumer of
the data, it cannot be placed on the repository.

  -- Howard Chu