triggering

I want to be able to take actions in various places when changes occur in LDAP. The way I had thought to do this was to install openldap on these remote places, and then replicate to them, using the shell backend on the replicas to perform the actions. If I correctly understand, this won't work, because slurpd needs for the backend it talks to to implement something called ManageDsaIT, which the shell-backend does not.

Is there some other way to accomplish this?  Thanks!