OpenSSL 0.9.6c and OpenLDAP 2.0.22

Hello all.

I'm trying to compile OpenLDAP 2.0.22 with OpenSSL 0.9.6c shared
libraries on a Solaris 8 sparc platform (gcc is 2.95.3). I have the
LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS set OK but configure cannot find the SSL
functions... it stops with these messages:

checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
checking for ssl.h... no
checking for SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms in -lssl... no
checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... no
checking for ssl3_accept in -lssl... no
configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package

With the same library path if I ldd ssl/lib/libssl.so
I can see libcrypto.so.0 linked OK, so I guess OpenSSL
is installed properly.
On the other hand I saw that configure declares
SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms and SSL_library_init to return a
char value (instead of an int as in ssl.h).

Has anybody come accross this problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Madalina.
Politecnico di Torino