Problem retrieving binary

I'm trying to retrive an attribute defined as binary.  I'm using openldap and I am accesing it through JNDI from a Java program. Though the storage operation seems to be working fine, when I retrieve the attribute I get back a String and not a Byte array. I am not shure that the store worked as it should (I mean that a binary was actually stored and not a String). I've checked past posts and there seems to be a problem with binary attributes in OpenLDAP. How can I store and retrieve binaries? What am I missing?
Thanks in advance.

    -- Paul