Cannot find TLS package on Solaris 8 with OpenLDAP 2.0.19

I have been building OpenLDAP with SSL support (OpenSSL 0.9.6c) on
Solaris 8 (Sparc). However, the configure script can never find the
library for SSL. It gives config.log output thus:

configure:6490: checking for SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms in -lssl
configure:6509: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto
-lresolv -lge
n -lnsl -lsocket  1>&5
/var/tmp/ccQlQC7Q.o: In function `main':
/home/technical/comtmgr/dev/openldap-2.0.19/configure:6505: undefined
to `SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 6498 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms();

int main() {
; return 0; }

And the same again for SSL_library_init.

I have built the OpenSSL shared libraries with './Configure shared
threads --prefix=/usr/local' and it does create the shared libraries but
they are only just over 6KB. This seems odd to me as on Linux (Debian)
libssl.so.0.9.6 was about 140KB. If I remove the shared libraries from
/usr/local/lib it configures alright, presumably using the static

I know this is probably an OpenSSL issue but I was hoping someone knows
what my problem is here and can help out.

                                          Software Support Officer
                   Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences
               University of Hertfordshire, College Lane, Hatfield
                                           Hertfordshire  AL10 9AB
   Phone: +44 (0)1707 286297          E-Mail: m.g.ross@herts.ac.uk
   Fax:   +44 (0)1707 286298      WWW: http://www.mross.co.uk/work