From: Andrew McCall [mailto:it.andrew.mccall@oldham.gov.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 4:37 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Migrating from Netscape Directory Server 4.12 to OpenLDAP 2

Hi all,

I am currently using Netscape Directory Server 4.12 on Linux Mandrake
7.1 for all my LDAP needs, this is only basic things like user names and
passwords and qmail. This system was installed long before I started
working here and there is very little documentation about this install,
and its now up to me to manage it [:(]

We have made a company decision to move all our Linux servers to SuSE
Linux, and I am in the process to re buiding all the servers, I have
done most of them and I am currently working on this LDAP server.

I would like to change from using Netscape Directory Server to using
OpenLDAP because there seems to be more support on Linux for OpenLDAP
than the new iPlanet products, however I have looked through all the
archives and can only find a post about moving from Netscape to an
earlier version of OpenLDAP.... [I seem to have misplaced the link right
now...]

I have a load of questions! Is this an easy thing to do? Is there a
quick way of getting it working? Can anyone give me a quick explanation
of what's involved in doing this? Can I use the original data files? Has
anyone done this before? Are there any guides on how to do this on the
'net already? .... any any more newbie type migration questions you can
think of about issues I will need to know.

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
Andrew McCall
UNIX System Administrator