Re: Replacement for ldap_build_filter()?

At 05:33 PM 2001-12-23, John Morrissey wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 09:26:46AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>% This routine is not detailed in the (old) LDAP C API specification,
>% RFC 1823, nor any of the LDAPext I-Ds.  It and a number of other
>% routines are marked as deprecated to note that they are likely
>% to be removed from the distribution in a later release.
>%
>% > Is there a replacement for it?
>%
>% Not within the provided LDAP C API.
>
>I'm not too familiar with the I-D process; is there a chance that I could
>work to get this into a draft and, if so, what would be the best way of
>going about that?

As the relevant I-Ds have long ago expired and the responsible
WG (LDAPext) has chosen to conclude without completing this
work item, I see little point in suggesting additions to the
I-D.  However, as the process is open, you are of course welcomed
to do so by posting to the WG's mailing list.  See the WG charter
at <http://www.ietf.org/>.

>It seems that ldap_build_filter() functionality would save
>a lot of duplicated (and possibly buggy) parsing code across lots of
>applications.

ldap_build_filter() is a good example of how not to generate
filters.  It doesn't nothing to ensure the generated string
representation generated actually conforms to appropriate
syntax.  In particular, it doesn't consider the need to escape
asserted values.

Kurt