What is happening here ( can any body explain)

hi all
 I am specifying the following url in my IE ldap://,cn,mail?sub?(cn=*)
The Ip address is that of my linux server where my slapd server is running,
When I run this url it connects to my slapd through apache and populate the entries in the address book
What I want to know is the plug-in that is used to connect my slapd(that is on linux) and the address book(which is on windows nt) ? How is it populating the entries in the address book ,  can i in any way use the same plug in to connect to slapd with my client
Plz Help