Re: Solaris 8 requirements

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:35:01AM -0500, Kevin McCarthy wrote:
> I noticed the exact same. I haven't actually tried myself, but these posts
> indicate that using OpenLDAP is a valid option:
>
> http://www.ypass.net/solaris8/openldap/index.html
> http://www.spack.org/index.cgi/Solaris8Ldap

And the original step-by-step "Howto" guide on solaris:

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/LDAP.html

Note, however, that it is NOT possible to use openldap with sun's standard
ldap support *securely*.
The spack.org page tells you how to hack into getting solaris ldap support
to talk to openldap. This means ALL YOUR PASSWORDS GO UNENCRYPTED OVER THE
NET!!!

Even though it talks about "setting up TLS" on the openldap side, it DOES
NOT USE IT with solaris.

You should follow the bolthole.com directions to install extra (free) PAM
and NSS modules. Then you'll get full encryption.