RE: Do you keep opening and closing connections to LDAP?

I don't think what you're trying to do is wrong at all. I think your
firewall admin needs a little talking-to. Even if they want to enforce such
a timeout (sounds silly to me) the firewall ought to be sending a TCP FIN to
both sides to force the connection closed, not just dropping the packets.

  -- Howard Chu