Re: Max Concurrent connections / fopen() limits on Solaris

open() vs fopen(): has anyone tried compiling OpenLDAP against AT&T's
"sfio" library instead of Sun's native stdio.h? We had a custom plugin
for our Netscape/iPlanet threaded Web servers that ran into fopen()
limits with stdio.h, but solved those problems by using sfio instead.
IIRC, with Solaris 2.6 sfio "only" doubled or tripled the number of
filehandles our plugin could deal with (based on some contrived
testing), but for us that was more than sufficient.

	http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/sfio/

I'd be curious to hear if you have more luck with that.

-Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm installing OpenLDAP 2.0.18 and Cyrus SASL 1.5.24 with the GSSAPI interface to MIT Kerberos 1.2.2 on Red Hat 7.0. For various reasons, I am not able to upgrade to RH 7.1 or 7.2 yet.

The SASL/GSSAPI sample server/client tests compile and execute fine according to the example provided by Ken Hornstein. Shown here:

sasl_common_init:entered: dispose_mutex:0
sasl_common_init:sasl_MUTEX_NEW: dispose_mutex:134528448

However, when I build OpenLDAP 2.0.18, I am having problems with the threading libraries. Knowing that Red Hat has a poor reputation for their threading support, I downloaded GNU Pth, it configures and compiles fine with OpenLDAP, but the execution fails at the following place:

./configure...
--with-threads=pth

sasl_common_init:entered: dispose_mutex:0
ldap_pvt_sasl_mutex_new():ldap_pvt_thread_mutex_init(mutex)
ldap_pvt_thread_mutex_init():rc:1 = pth_mutex_init() in thr_pth.c
ldap_pvt_sasl_mutex_new():0!=ldap_pvt_thread_mutex_init(mutex) return NULL
sasl_common_init:sasl_MUTEX_NEW: dispose_mutex:0

I have tried configuring OpenLDAP with other threading libraries, but keep getting the following:

./configure..
--with-threads=posix
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking POSIX thread version... final
checking for LinuxThreads pthread.h... yes
checking for GNU Pth pthread.h... no
checking for sched.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no
checking for pthread link with -kthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -mthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -thread... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -Wl,-woff,85... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread... no
checking for pthread link with -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -threads... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads... no
configure: error: could not locate usable POSIX Threads

I am usually able to mess around with the configure script to make things build, but this particular threads configuration setup is exceptionally difficult to work with.

To get on to your question about sfio and vthreads, I have just successfully compiled sfio and vthreads on my RH7 machine. I am in the middle of messing with the configuration script to try to get it to accept this vthreads stuff and decided to at least let you know that I am somewhere, but still quite clueless.

I have a feeling that I am overlooking something simple and making a mountain out of a molehill accidentally. I would appreciate any help from anyone about how to get OpenLDAP 2.0.18 to build with threading support on RH7.0. Any threading library is fine with me, just so it works!