newbie openbsd ldap startup

I need help desperately..

I'm tryind to get qmial-ldap setup, but I can't get past the initial install for ldap.
I've installed openldap 2.0.18 on OpenBSD 2.9. The 'make tests' all passed with no problems.. I can start slapd, but I get the following error everytime I try to do anything.

ldap_init( localhost, 0 )
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

When I 'ps -aux' I can see that slapd is running. I'm using the default slapd.conf exactly as it comes with the following command to add a record.

ldapadd -vxc -h localhost -D "cn=manager,dc=my-domain,dc=com" -w secret -f ldap.ldif

The the contents of ldap.ldif is:

dn: dc=my-domain, dc=com
objectclass: top

dn: ou=qmail, dc=my-domain, dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: qmail
There's probably a typical rookie flaw in here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find anything online to help..
Thanks in advance..