really basic question about auth.

I have a basic question about authenticating to LDAP server.

Suppose I want to add a new entry to the directory.
I need to provide info about who am I and a password.

Of course I can just put "cn=manager,dc=..." and password,
which are both in my slapd.conf file.

But can I authorize myself as a different user.
How to do it ?

For example I would like every user of my server to add his/her own entry to the MailAddress Book.
They all have unix accounts on my server and unix passwords.

Do they need to have their own entry in the directory created by the root (manager),
and then they can all authenticate and add more entries ?

Regards

Kuba