ldap_bind: can't access LDAP server

Just installed OpenLdap ver 1.2 on a RedHat 6.2 box via
rpms. I installed openldap, openldap-devel,
openldap-servers, and openldap-clients. I followed the Quick
Start guide in configuring slapd.conf. Then I tried to
connect to the server to verify it is running with
ldapsearch. No matter what search string I pass, it returns
ldap_bind: can't access LDAP server

ps aux shows a slapd process running. What sort of
problem/solution am I looking for? Can anyone point me to a
log file or something that might give me a clue. Sorry to
post such a basic question, but I'm very inexperienced at
this. Thanks!

Gregg