index dn delete problem

For those users who might be experiencing problems with the dreaded "DN index delete failed" (LDAP_OTHER) Unknown error 80 on Solaris 2.7 for versions less than 2.0.18 read on. You might consider the following suggestion. I never really determined what caused the problem but I was able to "solve" this issue by upgrading to the latest version of OpenLDAP and Berkeley DB software.

Solaris 2.7
Openldap-2.0.18
DB-3.3.11

Some steps that I took ..

1. build db-3.3.11 first
gzip -d -c db-3_3_11_tar.gz | tar xvf -
CC=gcc ; export CC
cd db-3.3.11/build_unix
../dist/configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared
make
make install

2. build openldap-2.0.18
ac_cv_func_pthread_create=no
ol_cv_kthread_flag=no
ol_cv_pthread_flag=no
ol_cv_pthreads_flag=no
ol_cv_thread_flag=no
export ac_cv_func_pthread_create ol_cv_kthread_flag ol_cv_pthread_flag ol_cv_pthreads_flag ol_cv_thread_flag
# if you want tls/ssl support download netscape sdk and adjust your LDFLAGS/LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment vars
gzip -d -c openldap-2.0.18.tgz | tar xvf -
cd openldap-2.0.18
./configure --enable-debug --prefix=/usr/local --with-tls --with-threads=lwp --with-ldbm-api=berkeley
make depend
make
make test
make install

Make sure to backup before you do any changes like this! Thanks to all of those who offered their suggestions. Good luck!