Re: [chancock@bsd.uchicago.edu: userPassword attribute]

Craig,

The double colon (::) is used to show that a value is Base 64 encoded.
{crypt} is not depricated.  To read the value out of the LDIF, you just
need to decode it.

For example, the string says "Hi Craig":
attribute:: SGkgQ3JhaWc=

This might work on your system...depending on your Perl setup:
perl -e "use MIME::Base64; print decode_base64('SGkgQ3JhaWc=');"; echo

- Christoph