ACL problems abound

Hello

Can someone guide to an answer as to why the following ACLs will not work for
me
Config: Redhat 7.1,  kernel 2.4.7, OpenLDAP 2.0.11, OpenSSL 0.9.6

 -----snip /etc/openldap/slapd.conf----------
database	ldbm
suffix		"dc=geeksinthehood, dc=net"
 ---snip for space---
access to attr=userpassword
	by self write
	by dn="cn=Manager,dc=geeksinthehood,dc=net" write
	by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=geeksinthehood,dc=net" write
	by * auth

access to *
	by dn="cn=Manager,dc=geeksinthehood,dc=net" write
	by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=geeksinthehood,dc=net" write
	by dn=".+" search
	by * search
------snip end----------

If I use these simple ACLs my system will auth just fine against the server
but with this setup none of my management tools work as they depend on 'uid'
for auth. I dont allow manager to login with GUI tools I just used to add
specific admin users with write access ACLs.
access to attr=userPassword
	by self write
	by * auth

access to *
	by self write
	by dn=".+" read
	by * read

On a side note I have created a SSL key and cert pair for my LDAP server but
the server refuses to start with TLS enabled.

TLSCertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ldap.crt
TLSCertificateKeyFile /usr/share/ssl/private/ldap.key

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew Williams