Re: chaining

At 05:30 AM 2001-10-20, Gayathri.A wrote:
>Is there any api call to support chaining? ( to contact the reffered server and get the search results for the user).

Note that "chaining" is commonly used to refer to work
a server does to continue an operation in a distributed
environment.  "Chasing" is commonly used to refer to work
a client does to continue an operation in a distributed
environment.  While there are certain protocol elements
which a client may use which impact "chaining", I assume
here you are actually interested in API elements which
impact "chasing".

There are a number of API elements which clients may use
in chasing referrals or search references returned by the
server.  There is automatic chasing controlled by
LDAP_OPT_REFERRAL as well as manual chasing as controlled
by ldap_parse_reference() and friends.

I suggest you read the IETF LDAPext LDAP C API I-D
(available in doc/drafts) for details on these API
elements.

Kurt