Re: off topic : metadirectory

Dhiren Pankhania wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would certainely expect for enterprise environments using a directory to
> look at servers that provide "dynamic" joins (as well as synchronous ) to
> applications such as Oracle, NT, PeopleSoft and so on. This provides a basis
> for a single point of access and control for enterprise users, providing the
> ability to support SSO and PKI amongst other things. Making it dynamic
> provides to some degree real-time capability. This is something many
> directory vendors are doing, so synchronous is a good starting point but
> OpenLdap when moving into the meta arena should aim to catch up with levels
> of joins to apps and how it does this.

Well, back-sql provides access to sql databases in form of ldap views.
Dynamic joins are the the step that's missing. The strongest restrain
from implementing anything like that in OpenLDAP, in my opinion, is the
lack of a standard,  as you said in your previous posting. I've designed
a couple of features taht would drive back-meta in that direction, but
the overhead is very large so they won't be feasible. I'd rather prefer
asynchronous joins. To this purpose the company I'm working with
developed
a set of agents that keep DSA and SQL databases in sync based on very
flexible rules. Maybe LCUP (if anybody will finally work on it :) may
become the (standard) brick for building synchronous synchronization.

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it