Re: Searches are painfully slow

Hi!

Todd Lyons wrote:

> Do exactly one lookup.  Then shutdown the slapd server and look through
> the logs.  I suspect you're going to find that it is repeatedly hitting
> the directory server with a lookup for something that it expects to be
> indexed, but is not.

I found that processing of the ACLs takes very long... (at least very
much space in the logs, thought I haven't used a timer). I'm talking
about 2 Screenpages per querried ATTRIBUTE, which is a lot when
querrying
a full InetOrgPerson entry.

> When I had a similar problem, I found that I wasn't indexing one of
> the required attributes (mailAlternateAddress in a Qmail-LDAP system).
> So I added it in slapd.conf.  It STILL didn't work right.  Come to find
> out, OpenLDAP won't create an index on an attribute that's indexed in
> slapd.conf until something actually gets input to that attribute.  So I
> guess the first order of business is to make sure that there is an index
> file in your directory's ldbm directory (/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
> if you used the default) for each attribute that you have indexed.  If
> not, it probably means that you are not using that attribute in any of
> your directory entries.  Create a dummy entry with values in every
> indexed field and then see if the indexes are created.
>
> Good Luck!
Thanks
> --
> Blue skies...           Todd
> | Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |
> | http://www.mrball.net  |  I've had better days...               |
> | http://faq.mrball.net  |  It's the end of the world as we know i|

How do I go on? Could it be that processing of the acls makes the
server that slow? I'm using groupbased ACLs with about 5 group-ACLs
per entry.
Thanks for your help.