Re: Searches are painfully slow

Timo Boettcher wanted us to know:

>root@mp3:~# /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d -1 > /home/timo/slapd.out \
>            2> /home/timo/slapd.err

To keep things in context, do it this way:
/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d -1 >/home/timo/slapd.log 2>&1

>Got one error during startup:
>daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by
>protocol)

Check to see if your system supports IPv6 would be my guess.  AFAICS,
nothing to worry about.

>I did about 40 Queries.
>op-number of the unbind-commad is 40.

Do exactly one lookup.  Then shutdown the slapd server and look through
the logs.  I suspect you're going to find that it is repeatedly hitting
the directory server with a lookup for something that it expects to be
indexed, but is not.

When I had a similar problem, I found that I wasn't indexing one of
the required attributes (mailAlternateAddress in a Qmail-LDAP system).
So I added it in slapd.conf.  It STILL didn't work right.  Come to find
out, OpenLDAP won't create an index on an attribute that's indexed in
slapd.conf until something actually gets input to that attribute.  So I
guess the first order of business is to make sure that there is an index
file in your directory's ldbm directory (/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
if you used the default) for each attribute that you have indexed.  If
not, it probably means that you are not using that attribute in any of
your directory entries.  Create a dummy entry with values in every
indexed field and then see if the indexes are created.

Good Luck!
--
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |