Will providing acls prevent anonymous users from viewing an ldap directory

Hi All,

Sorry for troubling u guys, but i'm desperate for an answer.
Does one have to write an acl to prevent users or  authenticate users from viewing an ldap directory's data. If so, can someone help me with the acl statements.
My acls don't seem to work
If I say
    access to dn=dc=yyy,dc=com
            by users auth

Does auth mean authentication throught the userPassword attribute of cn

If i write
    access to dn=dc=yyy,dc=com
            by users read
Does it allow users(entries) of a directory only to view the ldap data

There does not seem to be anything much on simple authentication.....

I'll be grateful if somebody could help.

Tks & Regds,
Sanjukta