Backup

Hi All!

In the Last weeks, the diskusion about backup was one of the more
active one's.

As I understood, there are three methods to backup an ldap-database:
1.) Stop LDAP daemon and backup the files generated by the backend,
    then restart LDAP daemon
2.) Export all data as ldif and backup ldif-file
3.) Replicate and use first or second method on replica

Since the downtime of a stopped ldap-server while the backup is
running isn't acceptable and I do not want to install a second
ldap-server on the same machine (if there's no other way I would do
that, but I believe in "K.I.S.S."= Keep It Simple, Stupid), my method
of choice would be the second one.

But when restoring the beackup by re-importing the ldif-file, wouldn't
the server bark at me when reading the "creators name",
"create timestamp", "modifiers name" and "modify timestamp" attributes?
(Something like "Attribute not userwriteable"?)?
Is there a possibility to restore the backup from the ldif-file without
losing these timestamp-data (I need these, for example for
netscape-roaming)?

Thanks for your help

Timo Boettcher